Military Records

Obtaining military records can be difficult for those who don't know where to go for help.   AFGE Local 3571 is hoping this web page will be able to make things easier on you and/or your family in obtaining the military records.

Who Can Obtain Military Records

  • Military Veteran
  • Surviving Spouse that has not remarried
  • Father
  • Mother
  • Son
  • Daughter
  • Sister
  • Brother

Required Information

  • Veteran's complete name used while in service
  • Service Number
  • Social Security Number
  • Branch of Service
  • Dates of Service
  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known)
  • If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:  (*) place of discharge (*) last unit of assignment (*) place of entry into the service, if known.
  • All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next of kin.
  • If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as copy of the death certificate, letter from funeral home or published obituary.

"Emergency" Requests and Deadlines

If your request is urgent (for example, upcoming surgery, a funeral, etc) tell us the nature of the emergency and your deadline in the "Comments" section of the eVetRecs or in the "Purpose" section of the Standard Form (SF) 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records.

  • Fax your request to our Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764
  • Call our customer service staff at 314-801-0800 if you have questions or require same-day service.
  • If your burial request involves interment at a Department of veterans Affairs national Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 800-535-1117 or visit the National Cemetery Administration website. 

Where to send my request

NPRC Fax Number: 314-801-9195

NPRC Mailing Address:

National Personnel Records Center

Military Personnel Records

1 Archives Drive

St. Louis, Missouri 63138


For additional information on obtaining the necessary forms to request a military records, the cost and checking the status of your request, please visit the MilitaryPersonnel Records Center